Overwatch 2 Reinhardt Guide: Abilities, Tips, How To Unlock
One of the best tanks in Overwatch 2, Reinhardt is a huge asset for any team. He protects his friends with a large shield, can swing his massive hammer at his foes and can be the difference between winning and losing. However, he can be misused easily in Overwatch 2. Here's how to play as him properly in Overwatch 2.
- Some characters like Reaper and Tracer have new passive abilities. Check them out.
Overwatch 2 Reinhardt Guide: Abilities
Reinhardt's larger and taller frame is a key asset of his moveset. You can keep your allies protected and absolutely annihilate an opposing team if you use him properly. Here is every ability at Reinhardt's disposal:
- Primary Weapon: Reinhardt doesn't use any gunfire. Instead, he wields a rocket hammer that he can swing in a horizontal fashion. The swing covers a wide area. Anyone in your camera view that is a foot away will be in range. The closer you are to the target, the more damage they'll receive.
- Type: Ultimate
- Effect: Reinhardt's ultimate can completely change the trajectory of the game, especially if the match revolves around a capture point. Reinhardt slams his hammer on the ground and everyone in front of the blast will be knocked down for a few seconds. During these moments, you should swing at your opponents as fast as you can. Try to match this with a strong ultimate from a damage character like Soldier 76's Tactical Visor or Reaper's Death Blossom.
- Type: Ability
- Effect: Reinhardt charges forward and if an enemy is within your grasp, you'll smash them towards a wall. It doesn't cause as much damage as the original Overwatch, but it will still be effective at taking out lesser-health enemies like Tracer or Sombra.
- Type: Ability
- Effect: This ability sends a projectile that can blast through an opponent's HP with significant damage. It can also pass shields from an opposing Reinhardt or Brigitte.
- Type: Ability
- Effect: This defensive tool lets you defend your allies with an energy barrier that can take 1,200 points of damage. It can only be utilized against foes who are in front of Reinhardt. Some sneaky heroes like Genji could sneak behind enemy lines and attack him.
Role Passive: Tank
- Type: Passive
- Effect: Knockback effects from enemy attacks are reduced and less ultimate is generated from healing and damage.
Reinhardt, as you can tell from his abilities, is a strong tank. He can defend his team incredibly well but is limited when enemies are behind him.
- Can't invite your friends to your group in Overwatch 2? Here are a few fixes.
Overwatch 2 Reinhardt Guide: Early Tips
To succeed with Reinhardt in Overwatch 2, you'll need to be vigilant and make the right calls during each match. Protect your allies with the Barrier Field, but try to reduce the damage incoming as much as possible. Look at the situation ahead. If there's a better way to reach the point than the central path, steer your team to the left or the right, so you can defend your team more efficiently. Be a leader as Reinhardt and you'll succeed.
Reinhardt has strong offensive potential as his hammer swings are wide and damaging. However, your team should be what's most important. Do what you can to protect them from peril and then when the time is right, strike. For example, if you see an opposing Orisa that's weak, charge at her however you can. Once she's taken out, your teammates can then rally around you to eliminate the rest alongside you.
If there's an Ana on your team, one of the best ways to take out a squad from a captured point is to have her use her boost on Reinhardt. His wide-ranged attacks and higher damage potential will be a big threat to your opponents. Use his wide frame to your advantage and strike as fast as you can.
Whenever you see an opposing team stalking one area and gathering up, that would be the best time to use Earthshatter. The knockdown period has seemingly been decreased from the original Overwatch, so make sure you're communicating with your team when you're about to use this ultimate for maximum potential.
How To Unlock Reinhardt
If you have experienced Overwatch in the past on your account, Reinhardt should be unlocked instantly for you. Reinhardt is also available to all free-to-play players of Overwatch 2 from the very start.
However, to get the entire roster from the first Overwatch, you'll need to play up to 150 matches. You can also check out the Watchpoint Pack, which unlocks all of the characters from the first game, 2,000 Overwatch Coins, and the Season 1 Battle Pass (which has the new character Kiriko featured).
For more Overwatch 2 guides, keep reading GGRecon.