Overwatch 2 Cassidy Guide: Abilities, Tips, How To Unlock
Cassidy in Overwatch 2 takes on the cowboy archetype perfectly with a stylish hat and a powerful pistol that he can pull out at any moment. That's not all he offers, however. Here's an explanation of each of Cassidy's abilities and best tactics in Overwatch 2.
- Finding Cassidy hard to play as? Check out our Overwatch 2 beginner's guide for the most accessible heroes.
Overwatch 2 Cassidy Guide: Abilities
Cassidy, formally known as McCree, has all manner of abilities at his disposal in the game. From throwing a sticky bomb to rolling, here's everything this cowboy can do:
- Type: Primary and Secondary Fire
- Effect: Cassidy's revolver pistol can dish out a lot of damage and requires a lot of accuracy on the user's part. You can get pinpoint shots, but you may want to tweak your settings to get the best accuracy. The secondary fire for the Peacekeeper has Cassidy firing off the remaining rounds in the game. It can be all eight or just one bullet. This is used as a finishing move in most circumstances.
- Type: Ultimate
- Effect: In a shootout-like setting, Cassidy's opponents are lit up in red and will be a direct hit if you press the fire button. It's good to take out an entire team that's gathered up around a point.
- Type: Ability
- Effect: Cassidy rolls out of the way and will move in the direction you're inputting; left, right, up, or down.
- Type: Ability
- Effect: Rather than a stun grenade, Cassidy uses a magnetic explosive instead in Overwatch 2. It's short-range and will zip towards enemies that are close by. If it sticks, the grenade will deal out a lot of damage. You can also place it on the ground but it only lasts for a second or so.
Cassidy has one major change in his moveset from the last game but due to these dangerous abilities, he is still a threat on the 5v5 battlefield in Overwatch 2.
- Want to play support instead? Check out Ana.
Overwatch 2 Cassidy Guide: Early Tips
Cassidy is a tough cookie in Overwatch 2. His abilities may seem basic at first, but they require much handling for you to be good with him against enemy opponents. Before trying Cassidy, we recommend going into training mode and testing out your shots. As Cassidy's Peacekeeper requires so much accuracy, try to shoot at dummies from short to long range to really get the feel of this weapon. You may want to change your crosshairs too.
When you work up the courage to fight for real, you should utilize the roll as much as possible. It can be a great way to get from A to B faster, but the roll can be awesome to phase the opponent. For example, if Reinhardt has a shield in front of you, you can roll behind the wall and use the close-range secondary fire to take out a massive amount of health.
Cassidy can be efficient at taking out support class heroes as well. If the Magnetic Grenade hits someone like Mercy or Zenyatta, they're more likely to be taken down as opposed to a tank like D.Va. Once you throw that Magnetic Grenade, you can also roll back to avoid further conflict with a stronger foe.
While using Deadeye, make sure you're in an area that your opponents least expect. If you do it right in front of them, Mei could block the attack with her ice wall or Reinhardt could defend his allies with his shield. Be unexpected, try to get behind or to the side of enemy lines, and activate the ultimate. Don't hold the attack for too long, however, as it can fade away and enemy players can counter you faster.
- There's another skill-based damage hero named Genji, considered top tier. Here are our best tips for players of his character.
How To Unlock Cassidy
Luckily, Cassidy can be unlocked for free-to-play owners of Overwatch 2 after playing just three games. However, if you already own Overwatch on the same account as Overwatch 2, the cowboy will be unlocked instantly. You can also get him through the Watchpoint Pack, which comes with all 35 prior heroes from the first game, 2,000 Overwatch Coins, and the Season 1 Battle Pass.
For more Overwatch 2 guides, keep reading GGRecon.