Overwatch 2 Winston Guide: Abilities, Tips, How To Unlock
Winston is a dominating force in Overwatch 2. He can leap into the sky and bring down upon him some electrical chaos. Here's how to play as this terrifying tank, who has a heart of gold. Keep reading to learn more about Winston in our Overwatch 2 guide.
Overwatch 2 Winston Guide: Abilities
- Type: Primary Fire and Secondary Fire
- Effect: The primary fire of the Tesla Cannon releases electricity within a cone shape. The closer the opponent is to the electricity the more damage they will take. The secondary fire is a new element to Winston's play style. You can hold the right mouse button and then release it to fire a focused blast of electricity. It does a lot of damage and can take out foes who are escaping from your primary Tesla Cannon fire.
- Type: Ultimate
- Effect: Winston gains a massive amount of health and can push away enemies from a point. You can punch your foes away and the leap has increased knockback elements.
- Type: Ability
- Effect: Winston will propel himself in the air with a giant leap and when he lands, he can cause damage to his opponent.
- Type: Ability
- Effect: Winston releases a dome shield that can take in 700 damage. Fellow team members can stay inside and attack others from within.
Don't monkey around with Winston's abilities as just an offensive asset. Balance out his moves to be the best tank you can be for your team.
- Wrecking Ball is a cute, but deadly tank when used correctly in Overwatch 2.
Overwatch 2 Winston Guide: Early Tips
Winston can be a tough tank to use as you have to balance your offensive and defensive timing. Here are some of our best tips on how to play Winston properly in Overwatch 2.
First, you should know that Winston can be a great disruptor to the backline of the enemy team. With Winston's giant leap, you can focus on the support heroes like Zenyatta and eliminate them quickly. After a few short seconds, you can leap back to your allies as they then decimate the whole team.
Second, use the Barrier Protector sparingly. If you see an ally struggling with low health, that is the best time to use it. The shield is much weaker than Reinhardt's, and enemies can enter inside, but at a safe distance, it can be an effective way to repel enemy attacks.
For Winston's ultimate, it's perfect for objectives that are close to steep falls. In Ilios, for example, there's an objective that is surrounded by a deep abyss. Try to use Winston's primal form to push off opponents and send them flying off the stage, Super Smash Bros. style. This attack is even more effective when buffed by the likes of Ana and Mercy.
- Master Reaper with this Overwatch 2 guide on his abilities and tactics.
How To Unlock Winston
Thankfully for free-to-play players, Winston is a hero that is unlocked instantly as soon as you start a PvP match. He'll also be unlocked if you've played the original Overwatch on the same account for Overwatch 2. Something else to keep in mind is the Watchpoint Pack, which comes with all prior 35 characters, 2,000 Overwatch Coins, and the Season 1 Battle Pass.
For more Overwatch 2 guides, keep reading GGRecon.