Will Hogwarts Legacy Have Romance?
Ever wanted to foray back into the tumultuous time of teenage love and drama, but set against the backdrop of the wizarding school? Read here to find out if there will be romance options in Hogwarts Legacy and to find out if you'll be brewing love potions in your spare time during your Hogwarts Legacy playthrough.
- Be sure to also check out our guide to when Hogwarts Legacy will be set, which gives an overview of important historical events at this time and more info on confirmed headteacher Phineas Nigellus Black.
Disclaimer: While the creator of the Harry Potter franchise was not directly involved in the creation of Hogwarts Legacy, their comments on social media around transgender people are hurtful and dangerous given the size of their platform.
We’d implore you to read our explainer of the controversy so far, and consider supporting trans rights charities where possible.
Will Hogwarts Legacy Have Romance Options?
Hogwarts Legacy is set to take place during the player's fifth year at school, meaning they will be around 15 or 16 years of age in the game. Fans have speculated whether there will be romance options or romance-themed dialogue as this is the time of young people's lives when they tend to discover love for the first time and experience what dating can be like.
Although romance in RPGs is nothing new, with the protagonist of Hogwarts Legacy being a child, if there are romance options we can expect the game to keep it to the game rating of 12+ and include the innocent exploration of young love.
As we know from the original Harry Potter books and PS2 games, romance was explored respectably. The trials and tribulations of young romance were especially felt during Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince where we got to learn more about Snape and Lily's relationship whilst Harry tackled his growing feelings for Ginny. Arguably, Hogwarts Legacy is freer in some regard, as they are not beholden to pre-written Harry Potter storylines and are exploring an entirely new story.
As it stands, however, there has been no confirmation of romance in Hogwarts Legacy. Certainly, an entire romance mechanic or dialogue wheel like that of a Bioware game would be inappropriate whilst the protagonist is a child.
We would love to see however, the option to choose a date for a school dance, or the ability to get a gift for someone during a trip to Hogsmeade. Little touches like that needn't be the sole focus of the game but could add depth to life at Hogwarts whilst we study there.
Whilst we have seen varied characters in trailers and extensive character customisation options, there is no official word yet that Hogwarts Legacy will have romance options.
- For more Hogwarts Legacy news, check out our article on if Hogwarts Legacy is open world or not.
Hogwarts Legacy Companions
One thing that has been revealed is the option to have what the studio developers are calling 'companions' in a similar way to Ron and Hermione, these are characters at Hogwarts that you can befriend and complete 'companion quests' for to befriend them.
There are three announced companions so far, one from each house except for Ravenclaw. Although, we expect there will be an added Ravenclaw companion too to cover each house. The companions are called:
- Sebastian Sallow – Belongs to Slytherin house, his companion quest will involve him delving into the dark arts to find a cure for his sick sister Anne.
- Natasi Onai – belongs to Gryffindor house, she is from Africa originally and studied at the Uagadou wizarding school there. She is now at Hogwarts due to her mother receiving the post of Divination teacher there.
- Poppy Sweeting – belongs to Hufflepuff house and has a natural affinity to magical creatures. Her companion quest seems to revolve around the care of creatures, trailer footage shows Poppy and the player surrounded by centaurs.
- It is unclear if these companions will be potential love interests. For now, Hogwarts Legacy has only confirmed loyalty and friendship-based quests for the characters.
- For more Hogwarts Legacy news, check out our article on how to choose your house and wand early.