How to get the rebreather in Sons of the Forest
The Rebreather in Sons of the Forest enables you to explore underwater caverns for more loot. You will need the Rebreather and the Rope Gun to enter the cave containing the Shovel and progress the story. To learn where to get the Rebreather in Sons of The Forest, read on.
- To also get the Rope Gun, check out our guide on how to get the Rope Gun in Sons of The Forest.
Where is the rebreather in Sons of the Forest?
The Rebreather is located in a cave off the north coast of the island, indicated by the map above. You'll know you're in the right spot if you see a boarded-up entrance off the beach. Use any melee attack to destroy the wooden boards and enter the cave.
As all cave systems are dark, it is worth investing time in finding a Flashlight before entering. There will be many enemies including finger monsters so make sure you have a weapon and some throwables.
It is worth bringing a Tarp and Sticks with you to create save points throughout the journey in case you have to restart.
You save by creating a makeshift tent with a Stick and Tarp, you can then demolish the tent and retrieve the Tarp to reuse by hitting it with an Axe.
Sons of the Forest: how to get the rebreather
Once you're inside the cave entrance, follow these steps to get to the Rebreather (you can also retrieve the Stun Gun weapon from this cave by following this guide):
- Pick up the items scattered around the dead bodies at the entrance and continue forwards.
- Crouch through the low ceiling of the cave and walk forward.
- You'll come out to a pool with a floating dinghy, now continue to the larger central room.
- Head towards the light, past the enemies. You can either walk left of the light or right. For the Stun Gun, head right, past the light.
- Follow the path past the enemies.
- Keep to the right side of the path and follow the sound of music.
- Progress past the mutant babies and head towards the red light.
- There will be a body hanging from the wall, interact to obtain the Stun Gun.
- Look up to see a hanging Tactical Jacket which you can also take.
- Walk back to the central chamber.
- Head left this time to get the Rebreather.
- Keep to the right to find the entrance into another large cavern area filled with water.
- The Rebreather is placed on a ledge here overlooking the pool.
- Interact with the Rebreather to auto-equip it and dive into the pool to escape the cave.
- Be careful of the shark in the water, you can chuck limbs in the pool before diving in to distract it.
- If you're struggling to find the way out underwater, keep swimming down and keep the stone outcrop to the left of you.
- Now you're all set with the Rebreather and Rope Gun, check out our guide to getting the Shovel in Sons of The Forest, a useful tool that can unearth secret bunkers on the island.