Pokemon GO XL Candy: What Is It And How To Get More
Pokemon GO has finally allowed players to level up their Pokemon even further, but they'll need to use Candy XL to do it. What is this XL Candy in Pokemon GO? It's a special type of candy that is needed to level up a Pokemon after it hits level 40. It's not as easy to earn as standard candies, though.
So, let's go over how to use XL Candy in Pokemon GO, how to get more of it, and everything else you need to know.
- Need some items to complete the Pokedex? Our Pokemon Go Sinnoh Stones guide may be what you're after.
How To Unlock XL Candy in Pokemon GO
If you're below level 31 and aren't finding any Candy XL, don't worry — it unlocks once you hit level 31.
At this point, you can start collecting Candy XL, even though you won't be able to use it for a little while longer.
- We also have a guide on Pokemon Go Unova Stones to evolve some Gen V Pokemon.
How To Use XL Candy In Pokemon GO
Using Pokemon GO's XL Candy is extremely easy. Once a Pokemon hits level 40, it'll cost Candy XL to power it up even further. When you click the "POWER UP" button as you would normally, it'll show you the cost in Candy XL and Stardust instead of regular candy and Stardust.
As with regular candy, it'll cost more and more Candy XL (and Stardust) as the Pokemon levels up. Here's a chart showing how much is needed at each level:
Of course, Pokemon that are Purified will cost fewer Candy XL and Stardust, and Shadow Pokemon will cost more of both.
A standard Pokemon will need 296 Candy XL to reach level 50, whereas a Purified Pokemon will require 272 and a Shadow Pokemon will take 360.
Pokemon GO Candy XL: How To Get More
There are a variety of methods for earning more Candy XL in Pokemon GO. Some of them are a bit more reliable than others. Let's look at every way of earning XL Candy.
- Catching Pokemon can reward up to 3 Candy XL
- Stage 1 Pokemon are guaranteed to reward 1
- Stage 2 Pokemon are guaranteed to reward 2
- Legendary and Mythical Pokemon are guaranteed to reward 3
- The higher the level of the wild Pokemon, the higher the chance of it dropping Candy XL (remember that a weather boost increases the Pokemon's level)
- Catching a Raid boss always guarantees 1 Candy XL
- Hatching eggs can reward XL Candy
- The further distance of the egg, the more Candy XL it will reward on average/the more maximum Candy XL it can drop
- Transferring Pokemon can reward an XL Candy
- Trading Pokemon can result in Candy XL for the Pokemon you trade away
- The further apart the two Pokemon in the trade were caught, the more likely they are to drop a Candy XL
- Walking with your buddy can result in it finding Candy XL
- The higher your buddy's level, the higher the chances of it finding a Candy XL
- You can convert 100 regular candies into a single Candy XL by visiting the Pokemon's page and clicking the hamburger menu
- XL Rare Candies (see below) can be turned into Candy XL for any Pokemon of your choice
Pokemon GO XL Candy: XL Rare Candy
XL Rare Candy is similar to standard Rare Candy. It can be converted into an XL Candy for whichever Pokemon you choose. These are very rare, though, and can only be obtained in a few ways:
- In-person Raids can reward Rare Candy XL
- Some Special Research quests will reward Rare Candy XL
- A Rare Candy XL is given for reaching levels 41, 42, 43, 44, 46, 47, 48, and 49
- 2 Rare Candy XL are given for reaching levels 45 and 50
That’s it! Everything you need to know about XL Candies. Wondering how Mega Energy works? Check out our Pokemon GO Mega Energy guide.