Pokemon GO Deoxys Defense Form: Counters, Weaknesses, And Movesets
Defense Form Deoxys is far from the best Pokemon in Pokemon GO when battling in Raids. However, in the GO Battle League, it’s considered one of the best Pokemon in the game.
This form of Deoxys is one of four, the others being Speed Form, Attack Form, and the standard Normal Form. As is probably obvious, Defense Form Deoxys has extremely high Defense. However, as a result, its other stats are a bit lacking.
Whether you’re hoping to take it down in a Raid and catch it for yourself or you want to counter it in the GBL, here’s what you need to know about Defense Form Deoxys in Pokemon GO.
- Hoping to level up a Defense Form Deoxys and maximize its potential? Check out our guide on how to get more Pokemon GO XL Candy.
Pokemon GO Deoxys Speed Form: Weaknesses
Deoxys is a pure Psychic-type Pokemon in all its forms, including Defense Form. As such, it has three weaknesses: Dark, Bug, and Ghost.
As for resistances, there are only two. Avoid using Fighting-types or Psychic-types against Deoxys, as it’ll take reduced damage from both.
Pokemon GO Deoxys Speed Form: Counters
There are quite a few Pokemon that will be great counters for Defense Form Deoxys, but some of them are better than others.
Even though Deoxys is weak to Bug, there aren’t many Bug-type Pokemon that pack a hard enough punch to be worth the time. Mega Beedrill could be useful, but in most instances, you’d do better to stick with Ghost- and Dark-types, like the following:
- Mega Gengar/standard Gengar (Lick or Shadow Claw | Shadow Ball)
- Mega Houndoom (Snarl | Foul Play)
- Darkrai (Snarl | Shadow Ball)
- Chandelure (Hex | Shadow Ball)
- Origin Form Giratina (Shadow Claw | Shadow Ball)
- Hydreigon (Bite | Dark Pulse)
- Weavile (Snarl | Foul Play)
- Banette (Shadow Claw | Shadow Ball)
- Tyranitar (Bite | Crunch)
- Yveltal (Snarl | Dark Pulse)
- Mewtwo (Psycho Cut | Shadow Ball)
- Honchkrow (Snarl | Dark Pulse)
Of course, use the Shadow versions of Pokemon if you have them, as they’re more powerful.
- Some of the best Defense Deoxys counters, like Weavile and Honchkrow, need a Sinnoh Stone to be evolved. Here’s how to get and use Pokemon GO Sinnoh Stones.
Pokemon GO Deoxys Speed Form: Movesets
As we mentioned earlier, Defense Form Deoxys isn’t a great option for PVE but is one of the top Pokemon in PVP. There are different optimal movesets for each of these roles, so be sure to bust out those TMs if you need to.
In PVE, where Defense Deoxys falls behind, its best options are Zen Headbutt and Psycho Boost. These two moves will take advantage of the Same-Type Attack Bonus that Deoxys receives for using them.
In PVP, where Defense Form Deoxys reigns supreme, it’s - rather strangely - moves that aren’t Psychic-type with which it’ll perform best. Surprisingly, Counter (a Fighting-type move) and Rock Slide (a Rock-type move) will be the best options. While Deoxys receives STAB for Zen Headbutt and Psycho Boost, they're both terrible in PVP. The former is just not good, while the latter inflicts nerfs on the user.
- Need to Mega Evolve a Pokemon like Gengar to take down Deoxys? Here’s a guide on how to get more Mega Energy in Pokemon GO.