The Sims 4 Rags to Riches Challenge Goals, Rules, And More
Challenges in The Sims 4 are a great way to add rules and goals to gameplay and inject some originality into the game between expansion pack releases. The Sims 4 rags to riches challenge is one of the most popular, often taken up by Sims content creators. For a full rundown of the challenge and its rules, read here.
- For more Sims challenges read our guide to The Sims 4 Legacy Challenge.
The Sims 4 Rags to Riches Challenge Goals
The Sims 4 rags to riches challenge has players beginning with a limited amount of money. The goal is to make as many simoleons as possible, starting from humble beginnings to eventual luxury and riches.
There are many variants of the challenge, with some opting for more extreme rules and starting the game with zero money, scavenging on collectables at the beginning of the save game to make those first simoleons. The challenge has the following goals:
- Have a fully furnished house with at least three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, a dining room, a study with a computer and an outdoor garden with a pool.
- Pay an additional 500 simoleons to start building the home.
- Achieve level five handiness and level three logic.
- Once you move on to building the garden, achieve level seven handiness and level five in the gardening skill.
- Have a family and eventually become a grandparent.
- Complete an aspiration for your sim, their spouse, and their children.
- Have a house worth at least 100,000 simoleons
- Have at least 200,000 simoleons in reserve, with the ultimate goal of getting to a million.
- Have a career and reach 100,000 simoleons in that career.
- Max out your toddler's skills before ageing them up.
- Children must reach level five in a skill with perfect grades or reach level ten in a skill.
- Teens must reach level five in two skills plus keep a part-time job or reach level ten in two skills.
- For more Sims challenges read our guide to The Sims 4 Not So Berry Challenge.
The Sims 4 Rags to Riches Challenge Rules
The following are the standard rules for the rags to riches challenge, optimal for beginners of the challenge.
- Start the challenge on 1,000 simoleons
- No money cheats allowed
- No house to begin with, start on an empty lot
- No mods or other cheats
- Do not use build mode to add beds or other utilities to public lots, they must be used as they are (for example, you must use public benches for sleeping if you do not own a bed, do not place one on the lot with build mode).
- You can only stay at sim's houses you are friends with and for one day a week
- You must meet the goals for children before ageing them up, for example, you can only age up toddlers after maxing out their skills.
- Sims you marry must also start with nothing, remove possessions or money of theirs before joining them to the household.
- Pay 500 simoleons to the 'bank' before starting to build a house.
- Pay 500 simoleons to the 'bank' before starting to build a garden.
- You must have started to build a home before you're allowed to get a job.
- Your house must be under construction before starting to build a garden.
- You must have a house under construction or built before you can marry another sim.
- You must pay and host all weddings the sims in your family have.
If you need to remove money at the beginning of your playthrough you can use a money cheat. To do so, type 'testingcheats on' in the cheat box, then type 'money x'. Replace the 'x' with a '0' if you wish to set your household funds to zero. You can also use the free real estate cheat if you wish to start on any lot at the beginning of the game.
- For the free real estate cheat, read our Sims 4 build anywhere cheat guide.
The Sims 4: Extreme Rags to Riches Rules
In addition to the standard challenge rules, these are optional rules you can also follow if you want to play the extreme rags to riches challenge.
- Have at least three children
- Achieve level ten of your sim's career and their spouse's career.
- Start the challenge on zero simoleons.
- Aim to make a mansion not just a house and decorate it with the most expensive items from each furniture category.
- Max out your relationship with your children.
- Complete every type of party and win gold in each event.
- Purchase one of each lifetime reward for one sim, excluding the potions.
- Have your family be worth one million simoleons.
- Have twins or triplets
- Read every book in the game
- Reach level five of every skill in the game.
- Host five weddings.
- For more Sims challenges read our guide to The Sims 4 Disney Princess Challenge.