MW2 ranked play: Ranks, skill divisions, challenges, rewards
You'll want to know more about MW2 ranked play and how it all works, as there's a lot to sift through with the different ranks, skill divisions, and challenges, along with the rewards you can earn for playing.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 didn't have a ranked mode to start with, but as of Season 2 it was introduced to the standard multiplayer. This gives the more competitive-minded players a space to really test their skills in the game, but you may want an explanation of how it all works before getting started. So, check out our breakdown of MW2 ranked play.
- We also have a breakdown of the best MW2 guns, which covers the most popular meta loadouts.
MW2 ranked play: Overview
Ranked play is MW2's competitive multiplayer playlist. Ranked play uses the official rules and regulations from the Call of Duty League.
To participate in ranked play, you must be at least Level 16. However, note that while in ranked play, you will have access to all weapons, attachments, equipment, and perks, regardless of your level.
- Dominate Ranked Play with the best MW2 ranked play classes.
MW2 ranked play: Maps and modes
Ranked play features the following maps and modes:
|Hardpoint||Al Bagra Fortress, Breenbergh Hotel, Embassy, Mercado Las Almas, and El Asilo|
|Search & Destroy||Al Bagra Fortress, Breenbergh Hotel, Zarqwa Hydroelectric, Embassy, and Mercado Las Almas|
|Control||Himmelmatt Expo, Breenbergh Hotel, and El Asilo|
- Check out the best MW2 Killstreaks too.
MW2 ranked play: Skill divisions
Your skill division in MW2 is based on your skill rating (SR) in ranked play. Below are the eight skill divisions:
- Bronze – 0-899 SR
- Silver – 900-2,099 SR
- Gold – 2,100-3,599 SR
- Platinum – 3,600-5,399 SR
- Diamond – 5,400-7,499 SR
- Crimson – 7,500-9,999 SR
- Iridescent – 10,000 SR minimum
- Top 250 – 10,000+ SR
When you win a match, you gain SR. When you lose a match, you lose SR. The amount of SR you gain or lose is determined by both your individual performance and your team's overall performance.
As you climb the ranked play skill divisions, team performance takes priority over individual performance when it comes to divvying out SR.
- We also cover how to unlock the FJX Imperium Intervention in MW2 & Warzone 2, which is a powerful new sniper in Season 3.
MW2 ranked play: Ranks and challenges
When you win a match in MW2 ranked play, you don't just get SR. You will also advance your rank and seasonal win rewards.
Rank represents your cumulative progress in ranked play. Rank never resets — it's a permanent indicator of how much experience you have in ranked play.
You will get a star for every win in ranked play. And if you earn enough stars, you will improve to the next rank. Every five ranks awards a new symbol that'll be displayed in the colour of your skill division. The max rank is 50.
Last but not least, every win in ranked play will accumulate toward a seasonal win challenge. Each ranked season, you can earn new rewards for participating in the seasonal win challenge.
MW2 ranked play: Rewards
MW2 ranked play is loaded to the brim with exclusive rewards, with each season offering new rewards for players. Every five wins in ranked play, up to 100 wins, will net you rewards like stickers, blueprints, charms, decals, loading screens, and even a weapon camo.
As for rank rewards, players can look forward to the following goodies as they climb the ranks:
- Rank 5: Ranked Competitor Operator Skin Pack
- Rank 10: Press F Emblem
- Rank 15: Pro Issue Sidearm Blueprint
- Rank 20: Ace Weapon Charm
- Rank 25: Turn It Up Emblem
- Rank 30: Gun Screen that tracks Ranked Play wins
- Rank 35: I'm Cracked Large Weapon Decal
- Rank 40: Pro Issue Combat Knife Blueprint
- Rank 45: Sweep Weapon Charm
- Rank 50: Ranked Veteran Operator Skins
And that's not all! To truly showcase your accomplishments, ranked play features skill division rewards too!
You'll get a new Emblem for reaching the Bronze and Silver Ranks. All other skill divisions, including the Top 250, will get two special Operator Skins, an Animated Emblem, and a Weapon Charm. These rewards are not exclusive to the first ranked Season – meaning that you can earn them by finishing higher or lower in the following seasons.
Players talented enough to reach the Iridescent skill division and the Top 250 will also get an Animated Calling Card. And the #1 Ranked Play player will receive a one-of-a-kind Animated Calling Card and Emblem as a monument to their status as the best of the best in ranked play.
- Loudness Equalisation is a must-have in Ranked Play. Discover how to enable Loudness Equalisation in MW2.
MW2 ranked play: Bonus features
Treyarch has implemented all sorts of features into ranked play to make the experience as smooth as possible. When SR is on the line, things can get intense – and frustrating. To alleviate that, MW2 Ranked Play includes a few safety measures:
- Ranked Play matches will not start if teams are uneven.
- SR Forgiveness. If a teammate disconnects or quits mid-match, all team members outside that player's party will not lose any SR.
- Penalties and suspensions for players that quit, disconnect, go AFK, or commit friendly fire too frequently.
- Demotion Protection. After advancing to a higher Skill Division, you will not lose any SR for your next three matches in the new Skill Division. Furthermore, once Demotion Protection expires, you still have to lose two games in a row to be demoted out of your Skill Division. Demotion Protection is automatically enabled for the first three matches of every Season.
- Hot Streak Flames. Players that achieve at least a three-game win streak over a 72-hour period will get flames around their Rank. The colour of the flames is determined by the length of the win streak.
That sums up everything you need to know about MW2 ranked play. So, what are you waiting for? Jump into ranked play on MW2 now and see if you have what it takes.
Make sure you also learn the Modern Warfare 2 map list, so you are ready for anything that comes up in a ranked game.