Pokemon GO Mega Charizard Y: Counters, Weakness, And Movesets
Pokemon GO Mega Charizard Y isn't just a fan-favourite Pokemon, it's also one of the strongest in the game. This Fire/Flying-type is an incredibly strong Fire-type attacker and a pretty competent Flying-type attacker, as well. If you're looking to catch this powerful Mega Evolution in Pokemon GO and give it the best moves, read on.
- Need some Charizard Mega Energy? Check out our guide on Pokemon GO Mega Energy.
Pokemon GO Mega Charizard Y: Weaknesses
As a Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon, Charizard has three weaknesses, though it has increased vulnerability to one of them:
- Rock (increased weakness)
It also has quite a few resistances, though, thanks in part to Fire having the second most of any type:
- Bug (increased resistance)
- Grass (increased resistance)
- Pokemon GO An Akala Adventure is set to start, check out our guide to make easy work of this Special Research.
Pokemon GO Mega Charizard Y: Counters
Thanks to its extra weakness to Rock, the best attackers to take down Mega Charizard Y are, of course, Rock-types. Pretty much any strong Rock-type will do the job, but these are some of the best picks:
- Rampardos (Smack Down | Rock Slide)
- Tyranitar (Smack Down | Stone Edge)
- Aerodactyl (Rock Throw | Rock Slide)
- Mega Blastoise (Water Gun | Hydro Cannon)
- Terrakion (Smack Down | Stone Edge)
- Gigalith (Smack Down | Rock Slide)
- Zapdos (Thunder Shock | Ancient Power/Thunderbolt)
- Kantonian or Alolan Golem (Rock Throw | Stone Edge)
Pokemon GO Mega Charizard Y: Movesets
Mega Charizard excels as a Fire-type attacker, being one of the best in the game. As such, it makes the most sense to give it Fire-type moves, both for PvE and PvP. Of course, Mega Evolved Pokemon can only participate in PvP during battles against Team GO Rocket. They can't be used in the GBL or against other Trainers.
The best fast move is Fire Spin, far outclassing Ember. Mega Charizard Y can also perform decently as a Flying-type attacker with Wing Attack as a fast move, but this is wasting its potential as a Fire-type attacker, especially due to its lack of Flying-type charge moves.
As a charge move, Blast Burn will perform best. However, Flamethrower and Overheat are also decent choices. Dragon Claw can be a good choice too, but it's best to Mega Evolve Charizard into Mega Charizard X if you're going to use Dragon-type moves, since it's a Dragon-type and will receive the Same-Type Attack Bonus.
Mega Charizard Y is considered one of the best Fire-types in the game. For other top 'mons, check out our guide to the strongest Pokemon in Pokemon GO.