How to complete Message in a Bottle in Dead Island 2
You'll want a primer on how to complete the Message in a Bottle quest in Dead Island 2, as it requires you to travel around the Santa Monica region location to uncover clues about the ultimate fate of an angry food critic.
Many of Dead Island 2's quests tend to point you toward a location, tasking you to find someone or something while there. Sometimes these are straightforward, but others in the game encourage you to use clues to piece together the key information and ultimately locate your target.
So, if you're struggling with how to complete Message in a Bottle in Dead Island 2, we've got you covered.
- For more Santa Monica quests, check out how to complete Like and Follow in Dead Island 2.
Dead Island 2 Message in a Bottle quest walkthrough
The Dead Island 2 Message in a Bottle quest can be picked up from the Santa Monica beach, but you'll need to have finished the specific objective to collect the Blood Drive during the Boardwalking Dead main quest.
The quest has three main sections, with each one tasking you with finding a journal entry from the angry critic that ultimately points toward his final location.
Read on for a walkthrough of each step of Dead Island 2's Message in a Bottle quest:
- Start by heading to the Bucket O' Fish restaurant on the pier (marked on the map above), and make your way inside. Be careful to avoid the traps throughout.
- On the bottom floor of the building, make your way to the very back, next to the valve, and you'll find the Review: Bucket O' Fish: One Star journal ontop of a box.
- Opening the journal will give you an indication of his next location back on the pier.
- Head toward the Pier Grill (marked on the map above), and explore the section next to the crashed helicopter. You can find the Review: Pier Grill: Two Stars journal on a table in the corner, which points to the critic's final location.
- With the second journal in your inventory, read it for a clue to the critic's next location.
- It will point you toward the hot dog shack in the top corner of the map, so head there.
- In the car park next to the shack, you'll find a tonne of zombies, including the A.R. Oliver zombie you'll need to kill for this quest.
- Take all the zombies out, and once A.R. Oliver is dead, you can pick up the Revew; Hotdg Shak: Twelvteen Strs journal, which will finish the quest.
The Dead Island 2 Message in a Bottle quest will reward you with 3000 XP upon completion, along with whatever loot you can pick up from the zombies in the car park.
That's our full walkthrough of the Dead Island 2 Message in a Bottle quest, and now you know exactly where the journals are located that point you toward the food critic.