Magic The Gathering Wilds of Eldraine: Release date, mechanics & all we know
The Magic The Gathering Wilds of Eldraine update is nearing its release and prerelease, and with it comes a Walking Dead rebrand, too.
Magic The Gathering has been around for decades, and that means its in-game world has grown big enough that repeat trips are necessary to see all it has to offer - and we're heading back to Eldraine with the next update to Wizards of the Coast's card battler.
Wilds of Eldraine is the 96th (count 'em!) update for the game, and it'll take players back to the region with a more whimsical, fairytale theme - including a gingerbread character.
Here's everything you need to know about Magic The Gathering: Wilds of Eldraine. For more, be sure to check out our preview.
What are the release and pre-release dates for Wilds of Eldraine?
When can you play Wilds of Eldraine? Here are the gameplay events rundown courtesy of Wizards of the Coast, including that all-important pre-release date.
- Prerelease at Your Local Game Store: September 1
- MTG Arena Release: September 5
- WPN Game Store Open House: September 8–10
- Friday Night Magic: September 8–November 3
- Commander Nights: September 9–November 9
- MagicCon: Las Vegas and Magic World Championship XXIX: September 22–24
- WPN Store Championships: September 30–October 8
- Alchemy: Wilds of Eldraine Release: October 10
- Find out why there's never been a better time to start playing Magic The Gathering
Magic the Gathering Wilds of Eldraine Theme and Mechanics
This time around, Wizards of the Coast is moving to a fairy-tale theme, with "loveable heroes and dastardly villains".
There are draft archetypes based around the likes of The Snow Queen, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Little Red Riding Hood.
- Check out our interview with a Magic The Gathering artist who worked on Sauron
Players can expect the return of storybook frames, and new mechanics, too, with a single Planeswalker - Ashiok, Wicked Manipulator.
Each booster in the Wilds of Eldraine set will include a Non-Standard bonus sheet card that shows off new designs for classic enchantments from Magic's history.
Players can expect the following, with more to be revealed in the coming weeks:
- Smothering Tithe
- Greater Auramancy
- Rhystic Study
- Aggravated Assault
- Doubling Season
- Prismatic Omen
For more on the mechanics, be sure to check out our preview of Wilds of Eldraine.
Magic the Gathering Wilds of Eldraine Set Details & Commander Decks
You'll be able to pick up Set Boosters, Collector Boosters, and Draft Boosters which can be preordered now.
Commander has quickly become one of the best ways to play Magic The Gathering, and Wilds of Eldraine will add two new decks.
- Fae Dominion: Blue and Black - Tegwyll, Duke of Splendor
- Virtue and Valor: Green and White - Virtue and Valor
Wizards has noted that there won't be any Jumpstart Boosters launched along with the expansion, but players can find additional Standard-legal cards in Set and Collector Boosters instead.
- For more on Magic The Gathering, check out our rundown of the upcoming Doctor Who set
Collectors will want to know the following:
- Set Code: WOE
- Commander Set Code: WOC
- Enchanting Tales Set Code: WOT
Universes Within Walking Dead Reprints
As has been the case with many prior Secret Lair card drops, one set will be making its return to Magic The Gathering with the Wilds of Eldraine expansion.
This time around, it's The Walking Dead set, with the following being added to the game again but under different names which haven't been revealed as yet.
- Rick, Steadfast Leader
- Daryl, Hunter of Walkers
- Glenn, the Voice of Calm
- Michonne, Ruthless Survivor
- Negan, the Cold Blooded
For more on card games, check out our rundown of the best digital card games in 2023.
GGRecon uses affiliate links, if you purchase any products from our links we may earn a commission.