One Chip Challenge pulled following teen death
A recent internet challenge has been taken down after the One Chip Challenge, involving a fiery chilli-seasoned tortilla, has reportedly resulted in the death of a teenager in the USA.
Over the years, we've seen some indifferent internet challenges. The cinnamon challenge, the ice bucket nominations, and even the couch to 5k series that was designed to keep people active in lockdown.
However, the One Chip Challenge was the latest phenomenon for those who want to fire up their tastebuds. Now, the One Chip Challenge has been pulled, as a 14-year-old male from the US has died from suspected "complications" after eating the fiery food.
US Teenager dies after reportedly completing the One Chip Challenge
The One Chip Challenge recently went viral as Paqui launched the "spiciest" tortilla chip in the world, seasoned with two infamous chillies - the Carolina Reaper and Scorpion.
The challenge was a hit on TikTok, where munchers would be left gasping for water, with reaction content being made about how people handled the apprehensive snack.
However, it's now been reported that Harris Wolobah from Massachusetts died on Friday, allegedly as a result of eating the chip.
Wolobah reportedly ate the chip after a classmate gave it to him, and he later complained of a bad stomach ache to the School Nurse.
According to Sky News, the teenager was taken home, passed out, and was rushed to hospital before being pronounced dead. There is currently a GoFundMe page for Wolobah's family, which has raised over $30,000.
Paqui pulls One Chip Challenge product after teenager's death
View this post on Instagram
Following the death of Harris Wolobah, Paqui has now pulled its product off the shelves. "While the product continues to adhere to food safety standards, out of an abundance of caution, we are actively working with our retailers to remove the product from shelves," Paqui said on its website.
Paqui has also issued a warning on its website, saying that the challenge "is intended for adults only, with clear and prominent labelling highlighting the chip is not for children or anyone sensitive to spicy foods or who has food allergies, is pregnant or has underlying health conditions."
The company has also confirmed that the product is eligible for a refund if customers have already bought it.