Pokemon GO Mega Venusaur: Counters, Weaknesses, Best Movesets
One of the first Mega Evolved Pokemon to be added to Pokemon GO, Mega Venusaur is a Poison/Grass-type that will make quick work of almost anything that's weak to its two types. This is because it's one of the best Grass-type attackers in the game, as well as one of the better Poison-type attackers.
If you're looking to earn some Mega Venusaur Energy to Mega Evolve yours, here's some help in taking down this Pokemon GO Raid boss. We'll also go over what its best move options are!
Brush up on your type matchups with the help of our Pokemon GO type chart.
Pokemon GO Mega Venusaur Weaknesses
As a Grass/Poison-type, Mega Venusaur has four weaknesses, but a nice five resistances.
Mega Venusaur is weak to Fire, Flying, Ice, and Psychic.
It is resistant to Electric, Fairy, Fighting, and Water, with an increased resistance to Grass.
Pokemon GO Mega Venusaur Counters
Mega Venusaur's weaknesses are filled with top attackers, so there shouldn't be too much trouble finding the right counters in your storage. These are some good options:
- Mega Charizard X or Y (Fire Spin | Blast Burn)
- Mega Charizard Y is also good with Air Slash
- Mewtwo (Confusion/Psycho Cut | Psychic/Psystrike)
- Unovan Darmanitan (Fire Fang | Overheat)
- Moltres (Fire Spin/Wing Attack | Overheat/Sky Attack)
- Chandelure (Fire Spin | Overheat)
- Reshiram (Fire Fang | Overheat)
- Metagross (Zen Headbutt | Psychic)
- Mega or regular Latios (Zen Headbutt | Psychic)
- Heatran (Fire Spin | Flamethrower)
- Honchkrow (Peck | Sky Attack)
- Espeon (Confusion | Psychic)
- Mamoswine (Powder Snow | Avalanche)
- Alakazam (Confusion | Psychic/Future Sight)
- Blaziken (Fire Spin | Blaze Kick/Blast Burn)
Opt for Shadow Pokemon over regular or Purified Pokemon wherever possible!
Pokemon GO Mega Venusaur Best Movesets
While Mega Venusaur can make for a great Poison-type attacker, it's much better as a Grass-type, where it's top of its class. It lacks a Poison-type fast move, which makes it fall behind some other Poison-types, but it's still pretty great.
For PvE, opt for Vine Whip or Razor Leaf as a fast move. They're pretty even, though Vine Whip may be a hair better most of the time. As for a charge move, the Grass Starter Community Day move Frenzy Plant is almost always superior to anything else. However, given its exclusivity, if you don't have access to it, Solar Beam would be the next best, speeding way ahead of Petal Blizzard, Return, or Sludge Bomb.
It's a different story in PvP, where Vine Whip is clearly superior to Razor Leaf and Sludge Bomb is worth considering. However, Mega Evolutions are not typically allowed in Trainer battles, so most days, Mega Venusaur's PvP viability is locked to battles against Team GO Rocket grunts.