Pokemon Go Giratina Counters: How To Beat Giratina
Giratina is the latest Pokemon to come to Pokemon Go raids, with the Ghost/Dragon-type Pokemon circling back around on October 12th. A Ghost/Dragon typing is very rare so this will make for an interesting battle in Pokemon Go. But don't worry as this guide will have everything you need to know about the best Pokemon Go Giratina counters and weaknesses, so you can take it down and add Giratina to your collection.
Pokemon Go Giratina (Origin) Moveset
Here are the five moves that Giratina (Origin) can have, with them consisting of three Ghost-type and two Dragon-type moves.
- Shadow Claw - 9 damage
- Dragon Tail - 15 damage
- Ominous Wind - 50 damage
- Shadow Ball - 100 damage
- Dragon Pulse - 90 damage
Pokemon Go Giratina (Altered) Moveset
The Altered variation of Giratina has a slightly different moveset to the Origin form, with it featuring two Ghost-type and two Dragon-types, with a Rock-type move taking the place of the third Ghost-type move.
- Dragon Breath - 6 damage
- Shadow Claw - 9 damage
- Ancient Power - 70 damage
- Shadow Sneak - 50 damage
- Dragon Claw - 50 damage
- Take a look at the best Pokemon in Pokemon Go to know who the outright strongest beasts are
Pokemon Go Giratina Weaknesses
With Giratina being a Ghost and Dragon-type Pokemon, using Dark or Fairy-type Pokemon will be your best option, with Pokemon such as Mega Houndoom, Mega Gyrados, and Shadow Tyranitar ranking as the best Dark-type Pokemon, and Zacian, Arceus, and Zacian being the top Fairy-type Pokemon.
If you don't have any particularly strong Dark or Fairy-type Pokemon, Ice is the third-best option, such as Darmanitan, Kyurem, or Mamoswine. Despite being Ghost and Dragon-type, using those typings is also a good option, but we recommend going for the other types mentioned over them.
- The Pokemon Go Search for Zarude quest is well underway, so check out our guide to know how to complete it
Pokemon Go Giratina Counters
Giratina has a rather rare typing in Pokemon Go, with it being a dual Ghost/Dragon-type Pokemon. This gives Giratina many advantages when matched up against opponents, due to it being resistant against many types, as well as many other types being weak to either Ghost or Dragon. It is weak to Dark, Dragon, Fairy, Ghost, and Ice types in Pokemon Go, so that is the direction that you should be heading when trying to build a team to defeat Giratina in raids.
Looking at the movesets for Giratina helps give us a few options as to what Pokemon to favor. Giratina has two different forms, Origin and Altered, with each having slightly different movesets while still favoring similar moves. The Origin form will use three Ghost moves and two Dragon-type moves, while the Altered form will swap one of the Ghost moves for the Rock-type move Ancient Power.
With only one Rock-type move being different between the two forms, this means that a Fairy-type Pokemon is certainly the best option, as they are immune to Dark-type Pokemon, which instantly makes the fight easier as you won't take damage for 50% of its attacks. Dark-type is the second type that you should focus on due to its immunity to Ghost-type moves.
Here is a list of some of the best Pokemon to use, as well as their most effective moves.
- Crowned Sword Zacian - Snarl + Play Rough
- Fairy Arceus - Shadow Claw + Outrage
- Xerneas - Zen Headbutt + Moonblast
- Togekiss - Charm + Dazzling Gleam
- Mega Altaria - Dragon Breath + Moonblast
- Gardevoir - Charm + Psychic
- Sylveon - Charm + Moonblast
- Grimmsnarl - Bite + Play Rough
- Hatterene - Psycho Cut + Dazzling Gleam
- Alcremie - Charm + Dazzling Gleam
- Mega Gyarados - Bite + Hydro Pump
- Unbound Hoopa - Confusion + Psychic
- Dark Arceus - Shadow Claw + Outrage
- Mega Houndoom - Snarl + Foul Play
- Tyranitar - Bite + Crunch
- Zarude - Bite + Dark Pulse
- Yveltal - Snarl + Dark Pulse
- Darkrai - Feint Attack + Shadow BallHydreigon - Bite + Dragon Pulse
- Single Strike Urshifu - Sucker Punch + Dynamic Punch
Now you know everything there is about the best Pokemon Go Giratina counters and how to catch the tough beast, why not try catching Pokemon Go Mewtwo?