Joe Biden is putting politics through its paces as the presidential nominee is encouraging voters with his own Fortnite map.
First Animal Crossing, now Fortnite. The gaming gloves are off as Joe Biden has jumped out the Battle Bus and created his own Fortnite map to try and bolster his nomination for President of the United States. With just one day to go until the biggest vote of 2020 goes to the ballot, and as Biden and Donald Trump do everything in their power to secure a win, all bets are off.
Now, the leader of the Democratic Party is trying to engage with potential voters in a pretty unique way. There's no escaping the popularity of Fortnite as Epic Games' battle royale brawler continues to rake in millions of dollars.
Despite accusations of it being a "dead game", the recent Marvel-themed Chapter 2 Season 4 has proved there's still plenty of fuel in the tank. As well as hints there will be more Marvel madness further down the line, we've enjoyed Fortnitemares 2020 and the return of Arena Duos.
How is Joe Biden in Fortnite?
In Biden's latest move to prove he's down with the kids, the politician's team (we're guessing not the man himself) has made the "Build Back Better with Biden" map. It's currently found in-game and is part of a plan to get voters out there. Speaking to Mashable, Christian Tom - the Biden Campaign’s Director of Digital Partnerships - said, "With voting underway and days until Election Day, we are continuing to meet people everywhere they are online and offline with innovative and thoughtful activations.
"We designed the custom 'Build Back Better with Biden' Fortnite map to do just that — engaging players in a substantive, approachable, and fun way to reach and mobilize voters".
Around the mop, there are signs encouraging them to text "Fortnite" to 30330 or head to makeaplan.com directly to find out more about voting and the likes of dropping off your ballet/voting in-person on November 3.
What are the Biden map challenges?
More than something to look at, there's an actual purpose to the whole thing. The "Build Back Better with Biden" map has been built in Reboot City and includes a solo adventure that takes around 20-30 minutes to complete. There are a series of challenges for players to partake in, so what's on the agenda?
- Help Build a New Research Facility at Champ’s Construction site: “Build a new research facility at the local historically Black college. Build to the top, and stay inside the blueprints".
- Install 3 Scranton Towers: “Help install these new 5G Broadband towers to ensure every American has access to broadband".
- Restore The Aviator River: “Race to collect industrial waste and restore the river. This challenge highlights Biden’s plan to mobilize the next generation of conservation and resilience workers through a Civilian Climate Corps".
- Visit Joe’s Famous Ice Cream Shop: “slide down the colors (flavors) to get as much ice cream as you can".
- Help make Major’s Auto Factory Run Clean: “They modified the line to produce electric cars and are now retrofitting the offices before reopening. Install new high efficiency AC units and unwrap the solar panels on the roof".
- Complete Kamala’s Sneaker Run: “Find all 10 of Kamala’s sneakers around the city".
It's part of a swell in politicians trying to get in on the gaming action. As well as Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez rising through the ranks of Twitch playing Among Us, Biden created his own island in Animal Crossing and encouraged players to pop by for a chat. All in all, it shows how the Democrats are determined to connect with a younger voting demographic. With accusations that Biden is too old to run - at the age of 77 - his party is making great steps to shed his older image. Will it work, or is Donald Trump destined for "four more years"?
You can visit the "Build Back Better" map with the following code: 0215-4511-1823.
Images via Epic Games